Tuesday, October 6, 2009

October 6, 2009, 7:45pm

Today is about Louis Armstrong.  I'm reading Terry Teachout's upcoming bio on him, so I thought I'd catch up on his music.  It's not nearly as hard as I thought it would be to hear how and why the early Hot Fives sessions were revolutionary, at least why they were, and are, exciting.
-
In many ways, Armstrong's early music has more to do with contemporary dance music--club music--than contemporary jazz.  It's all about emphasizing the beat...1, 2, 3, 4.  Sometimes just - 2 - 4.
-
So much life takes place between beats 2 and 4.
-
I get addicted to hearing new music...downloading has only made this worse.
-
I always want new jazz, new chances to think my way through the music.
-
Email has made us all crazy.  Me crazy.  Look at John Freeman's upcoming book THE TYRANNY OF EMAIL.
-
Relaxing means not being aware of when the time begins and ends.  Infinity between 2 and 4.  But then there's pleasure in waiting for the inevitable downbeat.
-
I keep thinking my gmail inbox says 20 unread messages, when it really says 19.  What's wrong with me?
-
How could something so wrong feel so right?
-
New Sesame Street character: Kook-E monster.  E is for E-mail and that's good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment